This specialty chemical company operated more than 100 data centers of various sizes in six regions across the globe. In order to improve collaboration capabilities, reduce costs and take advantage of new cloud-based services, the company initiated an Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud transformation program.
While the enterprise is leading the three-year transformation initiative, it sought the support of external cloud experts so that its IT group could focus on value creation and innovation for the business.
Cloudreach supported the chemical company with several elements of its multi-year cloud transformation program, which comprises more than 1,000 servers across six regions:
- Designed and built regional AWS landing zones, including initial account and networking setup, security identity and compliance/governance.
- Replatformed existing applications using various AWS technologies, including: AWS Elastic Computing (EC2), AWS Relational Database Service (RDS), AWS Transit Gateway and AWS Direct Connect.
- Upskilled the IT team to enable the adoption of cloud best practices and a DevOps approach.
- Guided regional IT teams to effect data center migrations and transition to AWS native tools. (For example, replaced an on-premises backup solution with AWS Backup, replaced Microsoft System Center with AWS Systems Manager).
The enterprise expects the following results from its transition to the AWS platform:
- Reduce operational costs of maintaining on-premises data centers.
- Free up IT staff to focus on delivering new products and services rather than infrastructure maintenance.
- Improve the security, stability and reliability of its technology foundation.
- Boost global collaboration capabilities.
- Leverage cloud-based services to create new opportunities and improve efficiency.
Cloudreach continues to support the company’s multi-year program by replatforming applications, upgrading operating systems and ensuring cloud best practices are followed.
Cloudreach’s teams in Germany and Switzerland were initially engaged to build AWS architecture and support regional IT teams with data center migrations, while other vendors provided networking and DevOps transformation services. Cloudreach demonstrated its ability to collaborate seamlessly with the other providers – in fact, that was one of the key criteria in the company’s technology vendor selection process. Cloudreach provided strong leadership and assumed more responsibilities as the project progressed.
As the company staffed up internally and established a Cloud Center of Excellence, Cloudreach educated the team on AWS cloud best practices and provided expert guidance in developing a DevOps approach.
About the Customer
A world leader in the chemical industry, this company provides solutions for many industries. Its research and development unit focuses on the development of energy efficient and sustainable solutions.