This aerospace and defense company provides a variety of services for U.S. government agencies and commercial clients. WIth a data center exit deadline looming, the enterprise sought to explore cloud migration options and strategies.
In addition to requiring a rapid data center exit, due to the nature of its aerospace and defense work, the company had to meet Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) compliance requirements – so ensuring the right processes and procedures were in place within its GovCloud data center was essential.
After evaluating government cloud providers, the company selected AWS GovCloud as the best fit. Cloudreach secured AWS Windows Rapid Migration Program funding for the migration project.
Our Zero to Cloud in 50 Days program was used to accelerate the company’s adoption of AWS cloud and was the first step in the larger 40+ VM migration from its on-premises data center. The program involves fast-track cloud adoption, including a lighthouse migration to quickly prove out the value of cloud. Cloudreach followed this process to complete the migration:
- Cloudamize Assessment – Discovery workshops for requirements gathering, current-state assessment with our high precision analytics and automation software platform, develop migration timeline.
- Design – Hosted collaborative design sessions, developed a high level design.
- Landing Zone Implementation – Built, coded and configured services in the news AWS environment.
- Migration – Deployed the EC2 instances, assisted with data transfer to AWS, provided support and troubleshooting during cutover.
- Validation – Validated applications and build.
- Knowledge Transition – the enterprise owns with Cloudreach support.
Several AWS technologies were used in this solution, including: EC2, ELB, AWS Config, SSO, S3, CloudTrail, AWS Config, GuardDuty, AWS Shield, Palo Alto Firewall.
As a result of the timely migration of 40+ VMs to AWS GovCloud, the aerospace and defense services provider has realized a number of benefits:
- Scalable and agile environment on which to grow its business. Servers can be spun up in minutes versus months without constraint.
- Ability to meet stringent CMMC security compliance requirements.
- Improved infrastructure performance and reliability.
- Ease of maintenance and manageability for the IT team.
- Smoother onboarding process for customers.
The company was introduced to Cloudreach, an AWS Premier Partner with 700+ certifications and 14 competencies/ specializations, through the AWS Optimized Licensing Assessment (OLA) program – an initiative that helps organizations assess and optimize current on-premises and cloud environments.
Cloudreach delivered a series of workshops and developed a runbook to ensure the IT department would be highly proficient in managing its own AWS environment. Cloudreach also provided a further level of support through daily stand up calls and weekly status update calls.
“The Cloudreach team worked effectively with both AWS and the customer to solve its needs. The company was deciding between staying in a colocation, moving to Microsoft or moving to AWS. Cloudreach worked closely with my team and I to make sure AWS GovCloud could support its needs and did a full TCO leveraging Cloudamize tooling. Cloudreach then helped test a small piece in AWS with the Hypercare and onRamp program, which helped build confidence that AWS was the right long-term platform for its business needs. Everything came in under budget and a smooth migration of all workloads was completed to AWS in 90 days.”
– Corey Zamora, Account Manager – AWS
About the Customer
This aerospace and defense company provides a variety of services for U.S. government agencies and commercial clients. It is headquartered in the U.S. and has operations across the U.S., Latin America and Asia.